Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm pissed off

I just had a conference with my middle one's preschool teacher and I am so angry I think I'm going to have an aneurysm. It seems my daughter has a few issues. According to her teacher her fine and large motor skills are somewhat lacking compared to the other children and she doesn't socialize all that much with the other kids. She will engage in parallel play, but doesn't talk much to the other kids when doing so. She is also shy and can be moody. This isn't news to me. I've known for a while that my kid isn't perfect and I could probably spend a little more time with her in the crayon and scissors department. All of which was in my plan now that the baby is a little more scheduled and I'm getting some sleep. Here's what pissed me off. The teacher asked me if I had considered having my child evaluated. WHAT? Let me explain before you think I'm a "not my kid" kind of parent.

To begin, the way large motor skills were evaluated was by examining my daughter's ability to pedal a tricycle. She's not that good at it, admittedly, but I knew full well she had been short-changed in the bike department since I spent all of last summer gigantically pregnant and was a little reluctant to spend a lot of time bent over a tricycle. I figured when the weather got better we would really tackle it since how the hell am I taking my five month old outside with us now when it's thirty degrees out? Then I started to think, what about poor kids who don't even have bikes? Don't they turn into adults who function pretty normally? Or is there a whole population of people who can't get a job because they didn't spend enough time pedaling as a kid?

When we were discussing my kid's lack of socialization skills, the teacher asked me if I had had any playdates with children from the class to increase her exposure to children her own age. Um, isn't that why I pay for her to come here? Frankly, I don't have time or space for playdates. My daughter has school four mornings a week, so now I have to spend my one free morning with her trying to find another kid for her to play with? I live in a tiny house and can barely keep my own children quiet enough for the baby to take a nap, never mind adding another nut job to the mix. And, why the hell did I have all these kids if they can't play with each other? As the child of a working mother, I had few, if any, playdates so I played with my sister and I think I turned out OK.

Now don't think I'm criticizing the teacher for what are very valid observations. Having been a teacher myself I know what it's like trying to figure out what to say during conferences. You don't want to be overly critical, but you don't want to let a potential problem slide by and I thank her for that. I will admit, my kid's fine motor is something I have to keep an eye on and work with her on it. What got me so angry was two-fold.

First, is the fact that evaluation was brought up to blithely. It seems everyone is having their child evaluated these days either for speech or another issue when really, some kids just develop more slowly than others. Why are we so quick to pathologize these differences? I know many, many children are helped by various therapies, so please do not take offense if your child is one of them, but how many other children would have improved on their own eventually without having to have their parents worry themselves to death?

Second, all of this, perhaps in my own mind, was put upon me. It's my fault she isn't riding her bike enough, drawing enough, having enough playdates. The solution seemed to be even more pressure being put on me to structure my day and add more to my to-do list. It made me think back to mothers in the thirties and forties who kicked their kids out of the house trilling, "Go outside and play!" There were no organized activities, these mothers had laundry to do, houses to clean and meals to cook and this was the generation that would eventually put a man on the moon! Maybe my kid would be better at riding her bike if I could kick her outside to do it herself without fear of her being abducted out of my driveway while I folded the laundry. Or do I put everything I need to do on hold in order to do developmentally appropriate crafts with my kids and stay up until all hours of the night doing my housework? I don't think so unless the plan also includes my becoming a meth-head.

My point here is I felt like a freak for wanting to take a wait-and-see approach. The teacher wants to speak again in March, but if my daughter hasn't made any drastic improvements I'm not sure I'll be running to have her checked out. Some things take time and some things the teacher spoke of are never going to change. Regardless of who she is playing with my middle one is never going to be Suzy Sunshine. But you know what? One little girl in the class saves her a seat everyday. I think her moodiness has made her attractively enigmatic. Kind of like the girl who gets all the dates because she doesn't give guys the time of day. Every kid is different and maybe we need to accept that, within, reason, of course. I don't think the answer is parents needlessly beating themselves up or turning their homes into mini-preschools. With a little time and more crayons I'm sure my kid will be fine. But maybe I will look into a child-sized exercise bike...

5 comments:

Matt Barchetto said...

Annie is a cool, weird, amazing little girl. Moody? Yeah. Off in her own world sometimes? You betcha. Freakishly talented? No doubt! She happens to be amazing, and I think she is doing just fine. And I am a bit of an expert on not doing fine:

I was tested as a kid – long before there was a slue of tests even to take. Back when ADHD was called a pain in the ass, and most doctors couldn’t spell dyslexic. And my mom actually had to fight to get me tested! Imagen that: an education system that believed that all kids were normal until proven dummies. Now I am not saying that the 1980’s East Harlem school system was without flaws, but there is somthing to be said for not jumping the gun either! Well, low and behold, my mom was right (as they sometimes are – especially when they have an education background, ahem!) and I went off to special school, from 4th though 8th grade.

As I grew up, being classified dyslexic (with dyscalculia and ADD) a funny thing happened. More and more kids started to get what I had. By the time I was in high school (a hippy dippy NYC private school, but not specifically for LD kids) it seamed like 1/3 of my class was taking the SAT’s un-timed and even more were being prescribed Ritalin (remember Ritalin?).

First I felt super good about the fact that I had a community. I wasn’t that strange after all! I had a crew of misfit learners, and we understood each other pain. But that didn’t turn out to be the case at all. What I soon discovered was that I was what we liked to call “really dyslexic.” I slowly found myself fighting with teachers, trying to explain to them that I really needed help in areas. I tried to explain that I didn’t read till the 4th grade, and really did see numbers backwards. I went to “a special school” for over 4 years to overcome the fact that I was unable to read or write!! So while my other comrades in the ‘I Learn Different’ militia were getting A’s as long as there tested were taken in privet rooms with out the pressure of a clock, I was still studying 4 hours a night and failing. I began to realize that the trend of LD issues was not helping me at all. I really did need help, and every kid with a mild problem concentrating or a serious lack of interest in Shakespeare getting classified was costing me an education.

I ended up going back to “special school” for the last 2 years of high school and fought my ass through college (over 7 + years). I now take addaral for my adult ADHD, and it really works. Good for me, right? Whatever abut me. I don’t need a pat on the back or anything – I know I am smart and work hard and so on.

My point is, this streak of over “evaluating” kids for ever little thing is really going to bite us in the ass – soon. Annie is amazing. Your post made me cry. I hate to think that because she is a little different, suddenly there is a problem. So she can’t ride a tricycle – yet. I can’t spell tricycle and I am 28 years old with a college degree. That’s a problem!!! Give the girl a guitar and see how long it takes her motor skills to warm up. Annie is a musical kid. She was singing before she was talking! If that’s not special, I don’t know what is. Don’t make her do crafts. Don’t stick her on that tricycle and make her do laps. Give some piano lessens, and watch it all work itself out.

sasha said...

i'm just testing to see that thisworks

Matt Barchetto said...

Another question to ponder (as my seven years undergrad landed me a women's studies degree): is Annie's "moodyness" a problem? Or is it a problem because she is a girl?

It is known that most young boy's suffering with a developmental or learning disability act out, and misbehave. Girls, on the other hand, are well behaved, personable, and eager to please. I don’t know about you - but that doesn’t really sound like Annie to me!

Teachers are people too, but it is so important to remember that little girls can NATRUALY be quite and a little tuff; and boys can be personable and sensitive (just look at Matty).

Sugar and Spice and Everything nice is an out dated nursery rhyme – not an evaluation tool in the modern education system.

kk said...

I'm gonna post my comments on this even though you already know my thoughts...


triple WHATEVER on this.

Remember when the doctors had me "tested" cause i was "fat"? (Even though I was the best athlete in school and the most active kid you'd ever seen?) Remember when I was scared and humiliated at the nutritionist, sitting next to a 400 pound 8 year old? Remember when I was dragged to weight watchers at 11 and given one pack of garbage pail kids for every pound that I lost?

Mom and Dad put me through this because some "expert" told them to. And it was all because I didn't fit into some doctor's development chart.

Seriously. Let Annie be. She is unique and really cool (she has a stalker already, remember?!).

And you are the most amazing mother i've ever seen (5 inch ginger bread men? ya kiddin'??)

sasha said...

Ok I have ALOT to say about this one but I will try to be brief. First off she is a second and it is her mission in life - for survival - to be different than Molly. So that may make her more extreme or intense in several areas. If she were a different sex than Molly this would be less evident because her gender would give her the difference that she is looking for. And then there is that special little something that Annie brought into this world all on her own. Sometimes the kids who are harder to deal with as kids make amazing adults and are sometimes better equiped than their people pleasing counterparts.
There is a huge umbrella of normal and I think Annie fits under it. She may be a little closer to the edge but hey those people make the world a more interesting place to be and in the end dare to make the changes that we all sometimes need. I also believe your children teach you and you may learn the most from Annie. Follow her and she show you what she needs - try to fit her into a box and she'll loose her sparkle. I know easier said than done.
And of course if there is a real need I know you would be humble enough to address it, so I gues an open mind never hurt, but my instincts tell me she's fine, she's three. Let's remember that alot us were not even in school until kindergarten.