Friday, May 15, 2009

That's a lot of look...


Apologies for the long absence, dear readers, but I have spent a large portion of the past week covered in puke and/or dirty laundry. To be honest, I think I was still hungover Monday from my pre-Mother's Day outing, so that day was a wash. Then the fun really began Tuesday, as number 2 decided to surprise me after dinner by depositing a puddle of vomit, three feet in diameter, on the kitchen floor thirty minutes before I had to attend a pre-school budget meeting and moments after Hubby called to say he would be very late as he had to go out with clients. Fast forward to midnight and H comes through the door to find me and pathetic younger daughter watching Blues Clues* on the couch as she proceeds to wretch every hour on the hour. Note to H, this was not the best time to tell me how "legit" real Greek food is. You know what else was legit? The Lean Cuisine I gobbled down while still wearing my puke-covered sweatshirt.

Anyway, I'm back. And as Hubby is leaving for four days on business Sunday, I will most likely be writing a lot at night in lieu of actual adult interaction. Either that or drinking. Or both.

So now that spring is finally, finally here, I have to tackle the monumental task of outfitting my children for a new set of temperatures. While this is normally a pain in the ass with the girls, involving coaxing them in and out of a series of outfits to ensure fit, and now that they are older, sartorial acceptability, since having a son, I now have the added bonus of obtaining Hubby's seal of approval on all purchases.

To be clear, H is not much of a fashion slave, his main concern is that his son not look "queer"** or, as he puts it, "like the weird Euro kid".*** The guideline I have found most useful is to ask myself when making a purchase, "Would H wear this in his size?" But despite this method's success in the cold weather months, I am having difficulty now that I am no longer buying jeans and sneakers.

Take footwear, for example. What is the boy equivalent of sandals? LM needs some sock-free footwear for the dog days and H has outlawed sandals in anyway shape or form as falling dangerously close to that Euro category. And Crocs? I'd be better off with the man-dals since H thinks boys who wear Crocs look like Pinocchio even if they are camo-patterned (no hate to all my mom friends whose sons rock this look! Don't stone me at the playground!).

And pants. Again, what is the boy equivalent of capris? He needs something to wear on his lower half on those in-between, sixty-eight degree days when it is too cold to wear shorts but he turns into a thirty-five pound sweat ball when I put him in pants. So do I buy man-pris, otherwise known as clam-diggers (which always sounds vaguely dirty to me)? Over H's dead body. But take a look at the "shorts" H bought LM last week. Are these not really capris? They fall two inches above his ankle for Christ's sake! In fact, I'm worried about him wearing them when the weather really heats up because I don't think they allow enough of his leg to breathe. But God forbid I buy any short-shorts. H might divorce me and sue for custody. Which some male judge would probably give him if he brought the shorts in as evidence.

So I will trudge on trying to outfit my son and not offend his budding Tim Gunn of a father. I think have found a solution though and am now requiring Hubby to do most of the shopping if he's going to have that much of an opinion. This will also help me down the road preventing that dreaded father ailment, Have-No-Idea-How-Much-Things-Cost-in-the-Modern-World-itis.

*I used to rail against the fact the Noggin went from broadcasting preschool-aged programming between the hours of 6:00am and 6:00pm to airing twenty fours hours, "All children should be in bed at this hour!!!", but I have never been more grateful to see Joe's hammy mug in my life.

**Obviously, not in the homosexual sense, but in the loser-who-gets-his-ass-kicked sense as we are no homophobes here. And if that's what he really meant he'd have to tell me to return Little Man's "RuPaul for President" t-shirt.

***To clarify for my European readers lest Adam drive over to my house to throttle me, H is referring specifically to the German style of dark socks with sandals and/or t-shirts with non-identifiable cartoon characters on them and phrases like "Summer fun!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I am SO guilty of essentially every offense listed here...in fact, little Tucker went to school today in a pair of capris (in fact cargos conveniently outfitted with roll-up buttons) and crocs. Added bonus? The SOCKS he was wearing so sand does not get between his toes. Totally his idea, but who am I to fight with a 4-year old about fashion?

My guideline is that I try hard to stay away from advertising any Disney or Pixar characters on his person (forced exception for Lightning McQueen) and I insist that even though he is just 4 and thus not exactly worrying about how the ladies perceive him, he wears boxer-briefs instead of tighty-whities.

As a sandal compromise, you might check out Reefs...cute, more substantial than Tevas, no socks required (though Tuck has been known to wear them anyway).

Good luck satisfying both the big man and little man in your house!

Molly

Bibby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The Brits don't count as "Euro" in my book. You're safe.

Hubby

Anonymous said...

For a second there I thought my European cuts (note: not capris in any way, shape, or form)were in danger of chastise. Nothing wrong with being on the leading edge of fashion.

-V

adamkeeble said...

H would be correct. We speak English, which makes us immune (though, to be fair, most Germans and especially Dutch people I have met speak better English than I do.) Either way, no offense, no beatings.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Boys' clothing is so much more challenging than girls'. I'm going into my first summer with my little guy and I don't know what to do about tops on those really hot days. Muscle shirts feel so awkward but do I dare let my baby broil in a polo shirt because he looks cute?