Monday, June 9, 2008

Woohoo! We didn't use a condom! (Yes, Dad you can read this one)


I am still digging out from my weekend away with my girl, B, but I had just had to jump on and post about this. While trawling the web for birthday party invites for the girls (all the kids have summer birthdays which means three parties in three months - shoot me now) I came across an announcement (image, left). You can't read the print on this, but it says:

"Our family is growing and so is my belly"

ICK! I am so not down with the "pregnancy announcement" cards I see everywhere. First, why not just send "We had unprotected sex and look what happened!" cards. Second, have we become so spoiled by modern medicine and its seeming ability to cure any ill that we think every pregnancy ends with a healthy baby? Trust me, I've experienced this kind of loss personally, and thank GOD I hadn't told a lot of people. It was uncomfortable enough telling those I had that I had lost the baby without having to contact everyone I'd included in my mass mailing. But I guess when we find out we're pregnant practically the second after it happens we feel we can shout it from the rooftops. What ever happened to a little discretion? Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I think announcing a pregnancy is a delicate thing you do in person.

For the record I also opt out of birth announcements so maybe I'm not the best judge of announcement appropriateness. My theory on birth announcements - I can better spend the money on diapers and if I'm close enough to you you'll find out my kid was born. Because, admit it, what do you do when you get an announcement? You say, "Awww! Cute baby." and immediately throw it in the garbage. Or is that just me? File this under the topic "NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR KID BUT YOU".

And BOO! to naked, exposed pregnant bellies. Too sensy and I don't want to see your popped out belly button either. Gah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally with you on the pregnancy announcements-kind of creepy. The title was hysterical by the way.
I however am a birth announcement girl. We live far away from all our best friends and family and so we miss all the new little ones. Our fridge is covered with all of our son's future bff's announcements and I'm pretty sure his adorable mug sits on more than a few fridges and bulletin boards out there too. Plus Jackson's godmother rocks the birth announcements like you wouldn't believe (www.allthepieces.com). Use her when you have #4. ;)