Friday, August 6, 2010

I'm sure the Red Roof Inn was booked...


It's not summer unless my Michelle is causing a stir of some sort, or at least, some shit-stirrer is causing a stink about something about which a stink need not be made.

Last year, it was The Shorts of Shame, with their revealing cut and slutty fabric. This year? The Spanish Vacation.

For those of you living under a rock, Michelle took her youngest daughter, Sasha, on a privately-funded family vacation to Spain to spend time with some of her girlfriends and their daughters. On the surface, I understand the problem some might have with her trip, firstly, that in these hard financial times, it was not the best choice for The First lady to take a lavish vacation, secondly, that this trip would surely cost American taxpayers some money with all the security required for such a trip. And yet...

Sure these times are hard financially, but if the Obama's can swing it, why shouldn't Michelle take a much-earned break at a posh resort? H and I were in NYC this weekend and from the looks of the crowded luxury shops on Fifth Avenue (where I had to talk H out of buying me the sickest pair of Kate Spade heels* since they cost as much as a week of camp), there are still Americans making money and spending it is only going to help the global economy. Or maybe they were German. And I know many out there will claim the Obamas are not truly paying for the trip and a lot of favors were extended to the First Family. Well, duh. If you are the wife of the leader of the free world and your life is open for all to examine (like where you chose to vacation), then hand-in-glove with all that pain-in-the-ass-ness, comes the ability to stay at fancy places for a much reduced rate.

As for the cost to the American people for all the security, again I agree. But if we are going to ask a family to give up their ability to walk the streets freely, by being related to the President, then we can not expect them to limit their trips to the continental United States. I'm sure setting up a playdate for Sasha at The White House is like aligning the planets, so why not let the kid take an awesome vacation? Opponents also say that the choice of resort was unwise since security also needed to stay in fancy digs. thus costing taxpayers more. I think if Michelle had stayed at the local Beaches resort, I'm sure the average Tom Dick and Harrys who were prevented from using certain stretches of beach or the swim up bar**, would have caused a stink about The First Lady pushing out The Little Guy and all hell would've broken loose. The muckety-mucks who stay at places such as this posh resort are quite used to royalty, and celebrities showing up with security and barely raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow.

My last point is really quite a vain one, but, as The First Lady of the United States, I feel Michelle is a representative of our people and how would it look to the global community for her to stay at some low-budget place? Can't you just imagine the French? "Look at zis. She stays at a Motel Seeeks!" I'm not saying Michelle should be all "Let them eat cake" about her life, but if she's got the coin, give the lady a break. She works hard and she should be allowed to play hard.

And did I mention she looks friggin' fabulous? You rock those bangles, girl.

*Happy now, V?
**My one experience with an all-inclusive resort was very late in my pregnancy with Little Man where I spent my entire vacation beached on a lounger while H swam over to get himself rum drinks all day every day. I have never hated him more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those shoes. Perhaps even NEED those shoes. Do you think they'd give us a group discount? Like, say, 90% off?

I agree, Michelle looks fabulous and should be able to take a fabulous vacation. If she were staying at a junk-o motel, the message would be "Wow, the U.S. is so deep in the crapper that the First Lady is staying at a campground in the Poconos...."

Miss you, lady,

Molly