Friday, January 23, 2009

I Heart U, Michelle


I am so thoroughly, completely tired of hearing about Tuesday's inauguration. Yes, it was crowded, yes, it was wonderful, but, GOD, enough already. More reports about Michelle Obama's outfits? Well, I'm not really tired of those yet.

I totally, unabashedly have a woman-crush on The First Lady. In fact, without even considering ther politics, I'm a little in love with both the Obamas. Their witty give and take during interviews (loved during the Babs Walters interview Michelle questioning a statement Barack made, "When do you do dishes?"), the fact that she fell in love with him when he was poor and driving a car with a hole in the floor on the passneger side, and the clearly apparent fact they can not live without each other (see left), along with the skinny guy with big ears and tall/big gal thing remind me of me and Hubby. Conceited? Sure, but I don't care, they make me happy and want to kiss my husband when I see them fist bump.

But Michelle is who really rocks my world. Of course, having a similar body type - little smaller on the top with some junk down south - I love every single thing she wears. Well, except for that palazzo pant debacle, but we all need to experiment once in a while. She has all the class and style of Jackie Kennedy minus the snobby, bitch thing. J. Crew rather than Givency. And unlike other political wives, she lets us see her when she's not looking her best. Early morning at the polls Election Day? A ponytail and long-sleeved t-shirt , it's six in the morning for Christ's sake!

Even if she looked a hot mess, I would still love Michelle because of what she stands for. When I read, on a website, what she said during an interview, she stated so clearly how I feel about my own life I almost wept:

"O'Brien wondered how Michelle felt about following a dream that wasn't hers. She asked about leaving a "high-powered and highly compensated" career. Michelle acknowledged the challenges. She graciously offered that she missed her colleagues and her work. But, she continued, she could always find another career. With only the slightest hint of irony, she said if she had more time, she might bemoan the loss, but she "had a lot on her plate" and what she was doing was "pretty significant." O'Brien continued, "But sometimes your career helps to define who you are," she said, probing. "It doesn't for me," Michelle said immediately. "What I do in my life defines me. A career is one of the many things I do in my life. I am a mother first. Where do I get my joy and my energy first and foremost? From my kids."

Thank you, thank you, dear God, for sending us a First Lady of this caliber. She is the kind of woman I aspire to be - strong, intelligent and, most of all, seemingly confident in her choices. She is the perfect examply of my "taking turns" philosophy (as are the Clintons, as you can see Hilary is having her turn now, but they make me want to puke, with their loveless-keeping-up-appearances marriage, so let's not mention them, shall we?). On those days when I feel I can't wait for my go at the larger world any longer, I will turn my thoughts to Michelle, becasue she is not only making this sacrifice for the good of her own children, but for the good of a country, some of whom are not thanking her for the effort. And while your politics may differ, you can not deny, she is an example for little girls and women everywhere.

Especially with that one-shoulder number. Word!

No comments: