Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas to all...

Finally! The shopping and wrapping are done - although I still need to run out and buy a truckload of batteries. I demand, heretofore that all toys be powered by AA's. Who the hell keeps C batteries around? And a 9 volt? Oh wait! I think I have some next to the uranium. And while still modest by most standards, when gathered in the living room to be wrapped, the kids' haul is sure to give me panic attacks on the 26th as I try to squeeze it all in the playroom. I actually thought while wrapping a toy, "Oh, plastic dolphin game, I think you're a good idea now, but I know I will be cursing your existence in February."

Hubby has prepared the majority of his Feast of Seven Fishes. Did I mention he's Italian? The fact that I have smelts marinating in my fridge is evidence of my love for him. The excitement in our house has reached a fever pitch as Santa comes tonight. This guarantees #1 will wake #2 at 5:30 which sets us up for a day of teary-eyed melt-downs from my eldest and bearish, "get the fuck away from me" behavior from #2 (yes, a four year-old can give off that vibe) and exhaustion-related drunkenness after one glass of wine from Mommy.

But all of this madness is what makes Christmas with kids the magical time it is. While I do miss long nights of watching our favorite Christmas movie, Goodfellas (Wha? There are several Christmas scenes despite all the murder, etc.) and drinking wine under the tree, Christmas morning is far more exciting than it used to be. My children are still young enough to still believe and I will enjoy this time no matter how exhausting it is to be woken up before the sun, since I think's it's going to be kind of depressing one day to have to wake my kids up, sometime around noon, to open the gifts they have been begging me for all month.

So Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you have a wonderful day. Hubby is home all week so I will be MIA hanging with him and the offspring. I will return in the New Year, I'm sure with plenty of stories involving the baby eating wrapping paper or the dog knocking over the tree.

1 comment:

adamkeeble said...

Rock on, MM. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to hang out with you guys more - hubby included. Have a good Christmas and (snigger) "don't eat or drink too much!!!!!!"