Monday, September 10, 2012

Help me out...

I miss you guys!!!!

I am as desperate to get back to writing as I am for that Friday glass of wine, but the reams of paper pouring out of my children's backpacks requiring signatures and the names of ten people who can be contacted in case of emergency, requests for checks for Bagel Day, Pizza Day and Subway Day (I think I have found the source of the childhood obesity epidemic - school fundraisers), and demands for things like flutes for instrument lessons, tap shoes for dance lessons and a paper towel roll for a "getting to know our classmates" project, have had me tap dancing my way to the loony bin since September 6th.

You know what else is keeping me busy?  Fundraising for the Avon Three Day walk in NYC in October.

This involves my walking 39 miles over two days (the first day is just registration, or shopping in NYC in my case).  I'm hoping my running a few miles most days will serve as training, since all I've managed to do so far is make plans to meet my walking partner early Sunday morning, then cancel, via text, at eleven o'clock Saturday night as I'm pouring another glass of wine.

It does involve an overnight stay, which is nice.  H is grouching how this event is going to wind up costing us way more than my enrollment fee, and the price of my kicky new walking sneakers, since I refuse to sleep in a tent somewhere in the New York metro area and booked a hotel room.  Did he really expect I was going to sleep on the ground after walking 20 miles the first day?  Have we met?  I told him to not be all that shocked when the bill from the hotel includes a massage - and wine.

In all seriousness though, this is a really great cause.  I recently had my first mammogram and, in addition to having my breasts squashed to pancake-level thinness, I experienced the panic and terror of the doctor requesting "more views", then even "more views".  As the technician manipulated my breasts in ways not even the most inexperienced high school boy can manage, I thought to myself, "I can't have cancer.  I have kids!!!"  How many mothers say the same thing to themselves and their outcome is not as positive as mine?  How many women don't even have the resources to get this test and have no chance of survival once the diagnosis is made?

So dear readers, do me a solid.  Please visit my Avon Walk Page and donate.  Avon is making a specific push this year toward funding testing and treatment for under-privileged women.  I've pledged to raise $1800 and it would be great if I could exceed that goal.

Here's the link: Mary's Avon Page.  

I'll be back later this week with tales of training bras, Jennifer Garner movies and frozen yogurt.  Really workin' that male fan base....

No comments: