Monday, November 23, 2009

Meet me at the baah.

I am back from a luxurious weekend away in Boston visiting friends where I went for long runs, did some shopping, actually blew out my hair, and got way too drunk. So in between putting the house back together (H did a great job, but unimportant things like, say, #2's winter coat, have gone missing) and managing the second day of my hangover, I wanted to share a few random things I learned this weekend.

1. I am officially an old lady and can not sleep well anywhere except my own bed. I was becoming more aware of this lately and usually travel with my sleep mask, noise machine, pillow from home and clip on fan to aid the effort of attaining quality zzz's. Yes, I'm high maintenance and, no, I don't care. This trip I forgot everything but the sleep mask and have the under eye circles to prove it. Or was it all the booze?

2. Cementing my title of old lady, it is now official that I can no longer frequent bars that feature live music without H. To be specific, I can no longer do this when dressed up and with my girlfriends. B and I wound up in some bar in Boston, that we thought was the perfect place since it seemed every drinking age bracket was represented, including, creepy old, Irish guy at the end of the bar. Alas, no. We both felt rather exposed not having anyone to grind on during "American Girl" and were not actively searching for interested candidates. I think our future plans need to include upscale places with actual bar stools. Places that sell "Sean's Happy Juice" as the drink of the night are to be avoided in the future.

3. Not all gay bars are fabulous. I knew this, yet we had to at least walk past the place our waitress suggested. Sadly, it was not a scene straight out of Sex and the City. I guess the Boston gays prefer a tamer atmosphere. Nary a bare chest or glow stick to be seen. A gay bar with a pool table? That's just not right.

4. Nothing screams "I'm from New York!"* more than wearing a sleeveless top in Boston after Labor Day. Also a giveaway? Asking where the coat check is. After being given a quizzical stare by the barback at the very busy, hip restaurant, he took our coats and returned with out ticket. the number? ONE. I looked around and every damn person in the place had some kind of outerwear stuffed behind them in their seats like and elementary school cafeteria. Curious, but I guess it is quite chilly up there.

5. The lobster tail from Mike's Pastry that you bought at one in the afternoon, thinking, "That is ridiculously big", will seem ridiculously the right size at one in the morning.

6. My mother is still in my life and my best friend, B, is channeling her. Having a friend who I can tell, I love my life but am sometimes overly concerned about other people's low opinions of what I do, is a blessing. She also talks me out of buying unflattering pants.

So B and I have decided to make this an annual tradition and meet in Boston the weekend before Thanksgiving every year (see, no backing out now, it's in writing!). Because nothing makes you more thankful for your life than getting a break from it. And still having hangover-related-alcohol aversion prevents Turkey Day binge drinking as well.

*Yes, I realize I am from New Jersey, but I refuse to truly accept at and screaming that would entail my wearing a velour track suit, which, no.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! Sounds like an awesome trip. While I love living in Denver, the one downside is I can't see any of my old girlfriends without getting on a plane for 4 hours.