Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Twas Right After New Year..."


(Inspired by "Twas the Night Before Christmas", which was obviously written buy a man since there is no mention of frantically wrapping last minute gifts)

'Twas right after the New Year, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings still hung by the chimney, who cares?
Now that St. Nicholas had already been there;

The children received many toys that were cool,
And now, thank God, they were all back in school;
Mommy in her yoga pants, and green Yankee cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,

Why was she sleeping, with the house all a-clutter?
But getting to bed used all the energy she could muster.
For a month she had slaved for her family’s fun,
And now, come the New Year, this Mommy was DONE.

The month of December so lively and quick,
Begins so calmly, but then makes me sick,
With exhaustion from doing damn Christmas chores,
Makes me want, in my skull, a large hole to bore.

Christmas card addresses need to be checked,
Then there are the halls needing to be decked,
Gifts for the teachers, the principal and mailman,
Those cards we addressed?  Will somebody mail them?

To Target, to Justice, to Game Stop and such
To Michaels, to Hallmark, and damn Toys R Us,
Ordering online, rushing through the mall,
Purchasing, purchasing, now wrap it all!

There is plenty of fun stuff to balance this work,
If I didn’t enjoy it, I would be a jerk,
Cookies to decorate, parties to throw,
To the tree at Rockefeller Center we go.

The holidays are fun, but we moms can attest,
Upon our weary shoulders does firmly rest,
The pressure to make each December count,
For the magic might wane as our kids’ ages mount.

So while I enjoyed most of this time,
I am so grateful to now have some that is mine,
To be done with the wrapping and baking and cleaning,
To return to my writing and running and reading.

So I will take my rest, and deservedly so
I loved the holidays, but am glad to see them go.
So hear me exclaim as I snuggle up tight,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!



1 comment:

Mickey said...

Love it.! So creative, as usual/