Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Religion and Politics


What are the two things you never discuss at a dinner party?  Religion and politics. 

Well, I suppose that used to be the case. I was watching an episode of NBC’s The New Normal* recently, the gay main character's were hosting a dinner party, and the out of control, racist, homophobe grandmother goes on an anti-Obama rant after the other Democratic dinner guests harangue her about health care, gay marriage and a woman’s right to choose.  This was not a civilized debate, nor was this reality, but it made me ask myself, when did political proselytizing become acceptable?

I am all for a lively discussion where parties of differing opinions can share their views and maybe learn something from each other, but it seems in all political discourse these days there is an undertone of “you are an moron for having the views you have and I must change you” coming from each side.   I find it juvenile and offensive that many (most?) people can not respect views that differ from their own.  Isn’t that kind of the point of a democracy?  Going back to the adage about politics and religion, would you malign a Muslim, Jew or Christian for having beliefs different from yours?  Would you tell a Muslim he’s a dope for think Mohammed was actually God's messenger, a Jew she’s a really gone off the deep end for not eating pork, or a Christian that he’s deluding himself for thinking Jesus was anything other than a regular guy?  Never in a million years.  You might think it, but you’d never say it.  Sure, religious beliefs hold a more sacred place in most people’s lives, but politics are a close second in determining how we conduct ourselves, so why the judgement?

And as with religion, you can't tell what someone's beliefs are simply by looking at them.  Or by what records or movies they like.  I'm look at you Facebook Friend from the Gym.**  We may be "friends" and enjoy some of the same things, like using the treadmill in front fo the fan, but we don't actually know all that much about each other. So how can you assume I'm going to love the anti-Obama article you linked to from The Weekly Standard?  When it comes to politics, are we too comfortable making bold, public statements.

With the debate coming up on Wednesday, I'm sure Facebook, Twitter and every other outlet for thoughtless proclamation will be en fuego with rants and opines.  But let's try to use our best judgment and keep a cool head.  Yes, choosing the leader of our country is huge decision, one to be passionate about, but please, don't interrupt my enjoying the video of my friend's baby pooping on the potty, or looking at photos of animals with ironic captions.  That's what social media is really for.

*A series surrounding a gay couple and the woman they hire as a surrogate.  Truly hilarious and friggin' Nene from The Real Housewives of Atlanta is actually good.  Well, she plays herself, even I could do that.
** No, I haven't joined a gym yet.  I'm still just fantasizing about the day when my workout can take place during daylight hours

1 comment:

Ellen S. said...

Another thing to never discuss on facebook unless solicited: parenting advice. Seriously - my friends who post constantly about the dangers of "screens" - don't you tell me how to get ready in the morning in under 15 minutes without a little Thomas playing in the background.

But back to your topic - I also kind of have an issue with the yard signs. I can't help but stereotype people based on who they proclaim they are voting for. Seems like a way to divide neighborhoods. Can't we just focus on where we DO overlap? Why always focusing on where we divide? I've got plenty of friends on both sides (admittedly more on one than the other) and we talk about our days and our frustrations and our kids and our jobs and guess what? we're all more the same than different. Let's focus on that and not be so mean.

(Not sure why I'm ranting in a comment on your blog. Sorry, Mary. You just hit right on it for me today. Maybe I'm just a WASP at heart and can't talk money, religion or politics. My friend was just posting about how devastated her kids were when their Obama sign was ripped down (http://northandover.patch.com/articles/children-s-homemade-obama-sign-stolen) and I felt really bad for them, but also like, sometimes other people can't tell the difference between exuberance and aggression - and maybe the other side thought your sign was aggressive? Am I going to make myself dizzy seeing both sides all the time? oy. too much. Okay - end rant.)

Love your blog!