Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Makes-Me-Mad Men

Hello! Yes, it's me, and, no, I didn't fall off the face of the earth. I've been terribly busy eating, drinking, turning 38 and tottering around in my Christmas Shoes. See below:





Amidst all the revelry, H and I managed to have a few quiet nights at home and during one of those he convinced me to start watching Mad Men. I know, I know. What's wrong with me? It's the best show ever! John Hamm is gorgeous! I just...meh. When there's too much cult-like hype about something, enough to inspire an entire line of clothing at Banana Republic for instance, it kind of turns me off. I felt that way about New Kids on the Block too.

Even H has been hounding me to start watching since he's four seasons in. How's that you say? Haven't I written countless times about how H and I love to watch TV together? Well one of the first things my darling did when he got his beloved iPad, was to glut himself on television series during his commute. Which, while making it impossible for me to catch up, also finally puts to rest the myth that he is working during his commute. So when he gives me a beleaguered look when I throw kid at him seconds after his arrival home, I can now, with confidence tell him, "I wish I had just had an hour to watch TV, no go wipe your son's ass."

A friend lent me her DVD set of the first season about a year ago, so H dusted them off and we began to watch. A few episodes in I can agree with many points made by avid watchers - yes, John Hamm is good-looking, and the show is visually impressive, with all the period costume and set design. I realize now I totally missed my era. Dresses with fitted tops and full skirts as wardrobe staple? It's a pear-shaped woman's dream! But then there's all the sexism, so maybe not. I do enjoy watching, very much so, and will probably catch up with H in the next few weeks. The show is not only pretty good, but it's brought up some interesting points that H and I had fun debating.

For example, why is every stay-at-home mother in the media depicted as miserable? Sure, Betty Draper didn't really have any choice but to stay home with the kids, making it more slavery than occupation, and I know the 60s were an era when women had not a tenth of the choices modern women do now, but even in modern day depictions, the women at home are shown half worked to death and complaining all the time. Yes, I have had many, many, many moments where I have complained bitterly about my current gig, but, I love it a vast majority of the time. It kind of makes one feel like a chump to love a job that is universally depicted as demeaning and unfulfilling. It's hard to love something that, apparently, you are supposed to hate. Kind of like enjoying prunes. Which I do as well.

Also, why is a dramatic series only a hit if the main character is a flawed hero? Mad Men, Rescue Me The Sopranos. What happened to good guys and bad guys? Why is everything so complicated? Maybe I'm a simpleton, or too rigid, but the moment a male character cheats on his wife, I'm out. He has lost my empathy, since many of the situations he winds up in are due to his own shitty choices. I believe the world is full of essentially good people and I'd like to see some of their stories. Why can't the boss be the philanderer? I undertand that moral ambiguity makes for good TV, so surround Don Draper with douche bags for all I care, but I'd like to see a story of a guy who's surrounded by all this tomfoolery and stays on the straight and narrow. That brings me back for more, not some asshole who can't keep his dick in his pants.

Aside from these two larger issues, the sexist remarks make us laugh and talk. Like when Betty tells the neighbor Don needs "an hour of complete quiet when he gets home. He works so hard." H jokingly remarked he'd like that. I remarked how he watched this show on the train and should shut up if he wants quiet. One of the frat boys who works in the office asks, "What do women want?" to which his crony replies, " Everything." This line reminded me of a point I've been trying to work into a post for a while without sounding too bitchy. Why is it men think women are the only ones with wants? Or is that men's wants are always met, therefore they needn't ask? Nothing makes a woman feel like more of a nag or makes me want ot put my fist through H's face than when he asks during an argument, "What do you want from me?" I would get so angry, any discussion became useless after that, so I had to outlaw this statement along with its ugly step-sister, "What do you want me to say?".

Despite my original reticence, I am hooked and will keep watching. It's entertaining and makes me feel like my drinking is merely what Don would do after his morning coffee. And when I feel like my life is out of control, I'll just think of Betty. She's miserable, but, damn, she looks good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of Mad Men, but I agree with all that you say regarding Don Draper. If you haven't watched Friday Night Lights, you might find what you are looking for in Coach Taylor.