Tuesday, November 9, 2010

B-O-O-T-S...BOOTS!*

Quick post this Tuesday - although I am long overdue for a few long ones - since I will spend, yet another, entire day, traipsing back and forth between home and the elementary school - this time for the book fair - since God forbid I be the only mother who doesn't come for each of my children's half-hour sessions, to wander with them around the cardboard displays of Captain Underpants and Junie B. Jones books. I suppose the bonus is at the end of the day when I don't open two backpacks filled-to-overflowing with Hannah Montana and Phineas and Ferb "books". I mean, can we really call them books when they are poorly transcribed, full-length, television episodes?

Behold, the latest addition to the Mean Mommy shoe collection! I did not have the foresight to have H take a picture with me actually wearing them so you can not see that they are the slightly over-the-knee boots that are in every magazine this season. They are also the slightly-over-the-knee boots that I spent the late summer/early autumn months scoffing at. Am I Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman? I was even wary of them once I was in the shoe department with H, looking for a casual brown boot to wear with my leggings and skinny jeans, since the the cold weather's arrival (who are these women with nerveless ankles who can wear flats in the winter?). Yes, I am lucky enough to be married to a man who willingly accompanies me into the shoe department and without spending the entire time sighing and tapping his foot in an agitated manner. I think I put an end to that during a shopping trip after #1's birth, by telling him my free time had been drastically cut caring for an infant, and unless he wanted me to limit my shoe shopping to self-serve stores, and all the sensible pumps those stores favor, no longer having time to wait for the queen working the floor to search for my size in the back, he'd better get comfortable looking at high-end footwear. Fearing a future with a wife who wears crepe-soled flats, he got with the program.

On this day, it was the fifty year-old non-cougar, trying this exact pair on, and looking really cute, who prompted me into trying them on myself, despite H's calling them "Luke Skywalker boots". Then, when I was trying out the folded-down-top look during my test drive, he asked me where my Merry Men were. I said he comes willingly, I didn't say I he left his acerbic wit in men's wear. But, despite his comments, I was thrilled with these boots to the point I wore them out of the store like Little Man with a new pair of Buzz Lightyear sneakers.

So if any of you out there are contemplating a pair of these boots, I highly recommend them - if you can get your husband to move past his fictional character associations. Wearing them with a green tunic I was Peter Pan, with a parka on, I was Han Solo. With anymore comments, he's going to be missing a testicle.

*Laurie Berkener - Anyone? Anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

saw you from afar at your elementary school pick up. they looked great.

kk said...

han solo?! hahaha.

Sometimes Tony gets it so right!