Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday's meeting cancelled

Since I am usually complaining in this blog about things that stink or are difficult about being a stay at home mom, I thought I'd change things up today and highlight one aspect that rocks that I am currently enjoying today. I am my own boss. While it could be argued that I am not entirely in control as my job is to meet every need of three occasionally irrational individuals, for the most part I set the schedule and decide how each day is going to run.

Today, for example, I am enjoying Day 2 of a post-wedding hangover (a wonderful side effect of having three babies in five years and turning into an old lady is the wicked hangover that results when I imbibe more than three glasses of wine which I definitely did Saturday night). So instead of my usual Monday morning run-around of laundry and the grocery store, I have decided we can dig clean underwear out of the pile for yet another day and survive on randomness in the fridge and just fart around. In addition, I'm feeling more than a little bloated and squidgy after all the drinking, subsequent late-night pizza and next day Chinese food binging associated with a night out so it is with great joy that I can pull on a pair of yoga pants and sweatshirt and call myself "dressed".

I remember my days before kids, as a teacher, feeling this way on a Monday morning and cursing the gods that I had to squeeze myself into an outfit with some semblance of professionalism and spend the day in a room with thirty kids teaching them something other than "Don't mix red wine and martinis". While, at that time I envisioned stay at home motherhood as a fantasy complete with an immaculately clean home and lots of daytime TV, I was accurate in my prediction that once I was at home with my kids I would no longer have "The Mondays" (that's two Office Space references in one week!).

So to all of you at home I hope you enjoy what I call the "professional flexibility" that comes with the job. Because even though I can't hide out in my cube answering e-mail and guzzling lattes (I NEED a drive through DD!) and still must provide peanut butter sandwiches at a moment's notice ("no crusts please!"), I revel in the fact that, at The Barchetto Corporation, I am the boss and today my only meeting is with a one year old concerning some blocks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I am pretty sure that this would be every day at my house were I to be a stay at home mom?

"....I have decided we can dig clean underwear out of the pile for yet another day and survive on randomness in the fridge and just fart around."

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of being the CEO of the Falvey Corporation, not so much the head housekeeper though. And I would greatly appreciate it if someone would start paying us appropriately! :)