Friday, July 11, 2008

Icing for everyone!

So I have taken off my hair shirt and closed the door on yesterday's events determined to have a good Friday. What better way to do that than a Friday Top 5? Since I am spending the better part of the day running around taking care of last minute details for #1's Fancy Nancy birthday party that I masochistically having at the house tomorrow I thought it would be fun this Friday to discuss:

The Top 5 Things About Kid's Birthday Parties

5. Streamers - or crepe paper if you're a total freak. They are so festive and fun. When I had my oldest's Dora birthday party I had streamers in every one of Dora's mexican color scheme looped around the fence of our yard all twisty-style. It looked amazing. I love, love, love streamers even though I hate, hate, hate putting them up. What is the "right" way to do that? In all my years of perty throwing I have only found using yards and yards of tape to be the way to secure them to a surface which, of course, garauntees several of them will fall off when it is too humid or too dry. So I guess only people who live in northern California have any real success with this party staple.

4. Party hats. Isn't it a shame adults don't wear party hats like kids do? Don't you remember the feeling of that pinchy elastic (the same kind as used on those cheap drugstore Halloween costume masks) under you chubby little chin? They should totally make adult party sets like they do for kids, but rather than a Blues Clues or Dora the Explorer party, you could have a The Office party with Michael Scott and Jim on the hats and Pam and Dwight on the blowers.

3. Speaking of, its not a party unless you have blowers, or noise makers. Whatever you want to call them nothing says birthday party more than the feel of that cardboard tube getting slowly soaked with saliva and disintegrating in your mouth. It totally sucked though when the paper tube part got too crumpled to function properly because your sister sat on it or it got a hole.

2. Sadly, I have been reigned in this year from my usual party madness where I am up at six in the morning to run to the party store and pick up the helium balloons. Yes, I have bags of lame-ass regular balloons which I will blow up myself and tie to any surface that will hold them, but I will not be truly satisfied with my decor if the yard doesn't look like a carnival. Helium balloons make a party in my opinion although I never understood the whole sucking in the helium to make your voice change bit. Seems like those kids wound up with drug problems later in life.

1. CAKE!!!! The absolute best thing about a birthday party is, of course, the cake. Or in our case this year, cupcakes. The feeling as a kid of being all wound up on sugary icing and soda on a Saturday afternoon is comparable in enjoyment to that of my first glass of wine on a Saturday night as an adult. Watching my middle one stuff an entire icing rosebud in her mouth brings back heady memories of my own childhood parties cracked out on sugar playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey. Now as an adult I get to reward myself for all of my hard work hostessing these gigs by getting to eat the leftovers straight out of the box after having enjoyed said glass of wine.

So wish me luck tomorrow. I have wands to craft and glitter tiaras to make so I am off to work.
Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the cupcakes, those things were AWESOME! I love the massive icing rosebuds. If you made those, I swear I will be in awe forever.
Having had our first birthday this weekend for Jackson I second your entire list; although having paid $10 a piece for massive helium balloons only to have the biggest one fly away 10 minutes before the party started, I think your simpler balloons may have been a wise choice.
My favorite is also cake and for our party we got my favorite kind, Carvel. I begged for a Carvel ice cream wedding cake but sadly was shot down-not sure if Charleston, SC in June and Carvel really mix well.

Ellen said...

Two comments in one week! I wanted to pass along my nomination of your blog for an award. It's sort of chain-letterish, but I do truly love your writing. Check out your nomination on my blog.