Saturday, November 10, 2007

No one told me it would be like this...

Maybe today's not the best day to start this blog.  My husband is in California on a five day business trip (yes, it includes WEEKEND days), the baby has decided to become a horrible sleeper overnight and I have a terrible cold.  Today is just one of those days when the planets have aligned to create a theater of torture specific only to mothers.  Mercifully, my incredible in-laws have taken all three children from me to let me sleep and prevent me from selling my progeny into white slavery.

I had been thinking about starting this blog for some time.  Writing seemed like a natural outlet for the fear, frustrations and hilarity associated with motherhood, especially the stay-at-home experience.  I have been encouraged to write those witty articles that are regularly featured in Redbook, Ladies Home Journal and, during their less hip months, Glamour, but as I barely have time to brush my teeth writing, editing and submitting my work seemed insurmountable.  So, here I am, in my pajamas at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon pouring my guts out.  I'm sure I'll be posting very infrequently, but having this outlet will, I hope, help quell my thoughts of running away and joining the witness protection program on those very, very bad days we all have.  The days no one told us about.  The days when it's five thirty and your five year-old has decided to torment the three year-old to the point of howling just as you've gotten the baby to "sleep" for the fifth time in forty-five minutes, said baby begins screaming, the dog is whining for more water in the bowl the kids have knocked over as they've been running around unsupervised waiting for their dinner of reheated cous cous and soy nuggets while you continue to rock the baby in a semi-darkened room cursing your husband for having the luxury of sitting on a train reading the paper.

So welcome, dear Readers.  I hope you do not think me insane or try to find me in order to call DCFS and save my children.  I'm the one who needs saving anyway.

4 comments:

Ireny said...

Mary, if some one had told us how will be having kids, we will not be having them. maybe I now how you are feeling, and maybe I now how the future will be, because I had my two boys long time ago.
That's why I told you: "enjoy them now". I now is hart to bolive now, when you do not have enough sleep, no time for yourself... I now...
I am sorry that I am not there to help you more, I realy am.
Te amo!
I wish I can write in Portuguese for you.

kk said...

Although I can't relate to what you are going through, I just want to thank you for my new band name, which will either be marymeanmommy or theater of torture.

HA!

You need to get some RSS feeds up in hure. Tell Tony!

kk said...

never mind. you already have RSS and I am successfully feedin....

::lauren:: said...

A blog?! Your darling sistah clued me in and I'm just leaving you a comment to let you know you are now officially bookmarked...and please know I don't bookmark just any old blog I meet on the street. You are hilarious (not that I would have expected anything else from a Cowan.) Let's agree that my son marries one of your daughter and we'll keep it all in the family :)

best to you and yours,
lauro